Why not declutter your life and make money while you do it?!
I love decluttering, when I have time. I love finding new space, finding things I’d forgotten about that I could use and, particularly, finding things that I could sell or give to charity.
If you’d like to get to it, here are some tips to get you started…
- Identify the place/s in your home that cause you the most stress. Imagine how you’d like to see your space and write it down before visualising that space organised and mess free.
- If decluttering an entire room, start from the corner and work your way in. Don’t start at random points and get confused. Take each step slowly and make piles for keeping and throwing.
- Create a “maybe” pile and if the words “I may need it one day” goes through your mind- lend it to a friend or family member. If forgotten about after six months, chances are…you didn’t need it!
- TAKE BREAKS! Every hour, sit down, make a cuppa and de-wind. Items you threw out half an hour ago might suddenly be your favourite possession BUT after de-winding for 15 minutes, you may feel differently
- Follow the fortnight rule- if something has been out for a fortnight and not used, put it away or throw it out!
- Organise clothes by season and pack summer or winter clothes away now. If you have room under the bed or sofa- this is an ideal storage solution. If your space simply won’t hold your favourite clothes, self-storage can mean your very own walk in wardrobe!
- Don’t be too ruthless and throw away items that you may regret. Keep a “maybe” pile for a certain time so you can salvage any rash decisions.
- In future, opt for dual-purpose furniture that doubles up as storage, a trunk makes an ideal coffee table, and a bed with draws underneath is great for storing linen.
- Look at what items you can donate to charity instead of them being thrown in the bin. It can create a calm mind and body.
- Decluttering doesn’t have to be a chore! Get your friends over for a declutter session and a chinwag. It also helps to have another mind on the job to make you see sense!
Oh, and once you’ve done your decluttering, put stuff on eBay and make some money. Put the cash towards something special like a holiday or a really good Christmas than it’s win-win all round!